This policy describes how and why Mid and North East Essex Mind uses your personal information as a fundraiser, how we protect your privacy and your rights and choices regarding this information.
We collect your information in order to process any of the donations you make and to keep a record of your contact with us, we promise to keep the information we hold safe.
Who we are
Information you provide to us
We may collect your information to be able to: process your donation, register you for an event, purchase a product, register as a volunteer or collect details about an event you are organising on our behalf.
When you browse our website, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system.
Information we receive from another service provider
Your information may be shared with us by third parties, including:
- Online giving websites such as Much Loved, Virgin Money Giving and Just Giving
- Our event booking partners
- Volunteering websites including: Do-IT, Charity Job, Volunteer Essex and Maldon Volunteers Centre
- Our donation processing platform Stripe
We do not supplement the data you give us with any other publicly available information.
We collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information
- Your name
- Your contact details (including postal address, telephone number, e-mail address)
- Your date of birth
- Your gender
- Your bank or credit card details where you provide these to make a payment
- If you volunteer for us, information necessary for us to process these applications and assess your suitability
- Information about your activities on our website(s) and about the device you use to access these, for instance your ip address and geographical location;
- Information relating to your health if you choose to share your experience of a mental health problem
- Where you have left us a legacy, any information regarding next of kin with which you may have provided us to administer this
- Information as to whether you are a taxpayer to enable us to claim gift aid
- Any other personal information you provide to us
As a fundraiser we do not collect sensitive personal data about your: race, religious beliefs, political views, trade union membership, sex life or sexuality or genetic/biometric information.
We will use your personal information to:
- Send you any information, products or fundraising materials you have requested;
- Administer your donation including processing gift aid;
- Keep a record of your contact with us;
- Communicate with you regarding your event, fundraising or donation;
- Send a bimonthly e-newsletter if you have agreed for us to do so
- Respond to a complaint or query you make to us;
- Administer our events;
- Contact you if you may have experienced a problem with our website to enable us to fulfil your request;
- Generate reports on our fundraising and donations;
- Process your volunteering application
Our marketing communications include information about new and existing services, fundraising events, real life stories and organisational updates. You must have opted in to receive these via our website so we can be sure we have your permission.
From time to time we may use personal information such as your gender or geographical location, if you have shared these, to tailor our communications suitably.
If you have donated online or fundraised for us you will not receive these automatically, you will need to sign up to receive these.
My details, my choice
If you have signed up to receive our e-Newsletter or are taking part in a fundraising event and would like to amend the details we have, please email the fundraising team at firstname.lastname@example.org with your updated details or click ‘unsubscribe’ at the bottom of the email.
If you no longer wish to receive our e-Newsletter, we may still need to contact you for administrative purposes, for example to process or receipt a donation.
On what basis we can keep your data
You have given us consent
Consent is when we ask your permission to hold your data or use it to contact you for a specific purpose and you agreed to this. You can alter these details at any time or retract your consent as detailed in the my details, my choice section above.
You have a legitimate interest in our cause
We have a basis to use your personal information if it is reasonably necessary for us (or others) to do so and in our/their “legitimate interests” (provided that what the information is used for is fair and does not unduly impact your rights).
Our legitimate interests may include the below but this is not an exhaustive list:
- If you have signed up to support us through a third party event, i.e. London Marathon we may share your personal information with the third party event organiser so they can administer the event;
- For internal recording and analysis of our supporters, volunteers and donations;
- For monitoring the visits to our website
There is a different process to follow if we collect sensitive personal information (for example, details about your mental health), we will only record details about this with your permission, for example, you would like to be a case study for us.
We take the protection of your personal details very seriously. These are always stored in a secure, password protected system at all times. We will never and have never sold or swapped data with any other third party for marketing purposes. However we may share your information with the following parties, all of which are based in the UK and bound by the same Data protection laws.
- Our external finance team who process donations on our behalf;
- If you choose to leave us a legacy, we may share information with co-beneficiary charities;
- Analytics and search engine providers;
- IT service providers
We have specific criteria to determine how long we will retain your information for, which are determined by legal and operational considerations. For instance we are required to keep some personal information for tax or health and safety purposes, as well as keep a record of your interactions with us.
Where we are legally bound to do so or required by a regulatory body to do so, we may disclose your details to the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisors.
We have a legal obligation to keep your data
It may be that we hold data about you to comply with our legal obligations as a charity. For example, to publish our accounts or to provide information to the Fundraising Regulator.
You are purchasing goods or services from us
We will need to collect and store personal information about you if you are purchasing goods or services from us. This may include training or a place in an event like the London Marathon
You are free to opt-out of any marketing communication from us at any time. You can unsubscribe via the email you receive, by telephone or by emailing email@example.com. You preferences will be changed immediately and you will receive no further communication from us.
If your contact details change you can update us using the my details, my choice page on our website, by calling 01206 764600.
Your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation include:
Right to access your personal information
You can request the details of the personal information we hold about you, to do so please call 01206 764600 and ask to speak to someone in the fundraising team or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Right to have your information corrected or amended
If you feel we have inaccurate information held about you, or would like to amend your details please contact us as details above to make these changes.
Right to restrict use of your personal information
You may ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information under some circumstances, for example, we need to hold it in order for you to process a legal claim, the information is incorrect, we have no legal basis to use it, or you believe your right to privacy outweighs our legitimate interests and have asked us to use it in a particular way.
Right to erasure of your personal information
You have the right to ask us to delete some or all of your personal data and under certain circumstances this would be done.
Right for your personal information to be portable
You can ask us to provide the information we hold on you to yourself or another organisation. We can only do this if we have consent from you or to process a contract with you.
Right to object to the use of your personal information
You have a right to object to our use of your information for direct marketing purposes. You can do this using the means outlined above.
If you wish to exercise any of your rights as details above, would like further information about how and why we collect, process, store and delete your data please call 01206 764600, email email@example.com write to us at: Mid and North East Essex Mind, The Constantine Centre, 272a Mersea Road, Colchester, CO2 8QZ.
To discuss your personal details we may need further evidence of identity.
We will aim to get back to you with an initial response within 10 working days and fulfil any requests within one month.
Please note that exceptions apply to a number of these rights, and not all rights will be applicable in all circumstances. For more details we recommend you consult the guidance published by the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint about any use of your information with the Information Commissioners Office, the UK data protection regulator.
For a full list of all your rights under the General Data Protection Regulation please visit the Information Commissioner’s Office website.