East Essex Time to Change Hub
We are delighted to be working with our partners Essex County Council, South East and Central Essex Mind, Basildon Mind, the Tendring Mental Health Hub and Maldon and District CVS to deliver the Time to Change Hub for East Essex.
In February 2019 we became one of 8 Hubs funded by Time to Change to tackle mental health stigma and discrimination.
What is Time to Change
A growing social movement working to change the way we all think and act about mental health problems. We’ve already reached millions of people and begun to improve attitudes and behaviour.
Despite the progress we’ve made, we know that many people still don’t consider mental health relevant to them. They don’t believe mental health problems are likely to affect them or people they know.
But the reality is that mental health can affect anyone. Statistically, 1 in 4 of us will fight a mental health problem in any given year. That’s why our work is so important. No one should have to fear being treated differently because of a mental health problem. You can read more here.
How can I get involved
Time to Change Champions are volunteers, usually with personal experience of living with a mental health problem, who work to tackle mental health stigma and discrimination in their community. Examples of this are
- Having conversations about mental health with the people around you – whether that’s your mum, a mate or the postman – and talking about your experience.
- Running a Time to Change activity in a café, train station or in your workplace.
- Telling your story online or in the media.
- Speaking up when people say stereotypical or damaging things about mental health
As a hub we have funding available to support Time to Change Champions or group of Champions to run a Time to Change activity in their area.
Activities could be one of the below:
- A Coffee Morning where you or another Champion share your experiences
- An information stand in a Supermarket or Shopping Centre
- A family fun day
- A stand at an event, in the past we have attended Essex Pride, and wellbeing events at the University of Essex.
- Quiz Night
- Dog Walk
We would be very interested to hear any suggestions for events you would like to run and are happy to support you prepare a suggestion. Champions can apply for up to £500 and the fund can cover things like: the cost of a venue or stand, refreshments for volunteers, printing posters and leaflets, t-shirts, cakes and giveaways, prizes.
To apply for the fund you need to:
- Be registered as a Time to Change Community Champion (not employee champion) on the Time to Change website
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have lived experience of a mental health problem
- Run the activity in a Time to Change hub area
Unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of:
- Equipment (i.e. cameras, computers etc.)
- Training courses
- Salary costs
- Activity solely based in a workplace (i.e. not public facing / community based)
- Alcoholic drinks
- Fundraising activities
You can read the full guide to putting a suggestion forward here.
To apply you will need to complete a short application form. You can download an application form here. If you would like a paper form posted to you please contact Tricia on the details below.
We want to see any many activities taking place as possible and will be more than happy to support you in making an application to the Fund. If you have any questions or would like some help please contact Tricia Berhardt on email@example.com or call 01206 764600.
Applications are considered each month. Applications can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to:
Time to Change Hub Coordinator
Mid and North Eats Essex Mind
The Constantine Centre
272a Mersea Road